1. The appendix is a narrow, small finger-shaped portion of the large intestine. Although the appendix does not seem to serve any purpose, it can get infected (Appendicitis).
2. Appendicitis is one of the most common surgical emergencies. One out of every 2000 peoples has an appendectomy sometime during their lifetime.
3. Acute appendicitis must be treated with surgery right away (emergency surgery), if left untreated, the appendix can rupture (burst) and cause a life-threatening infection.
4. Traditionally the appendix is removed through an incision in the right lower quadrant of the abdomen by open surgery.
5. Laparoscopic appendectomy is preferred now as it has several advantages over traditional open surgery.
6. Less post-operative pain
7. Faster recovery and return to normal activity
8. Shorter Hospital Stay
9. Less post-operative complications
10. Better cosmetic result