Menorrhagia is the medical term for menstrual periods in which bleeding is abnormally heavy or prolonged.
Some of the many conditions that can result in heavy menstrual bleeding include:
- Hormonal imbalance and/or lack of ovulation
- Uterine fibroids
- Certain medications
- Thyroid disease
- Pregnancy complications
- Bleeding disorders
- Pelvic inflammatory disease
Some Possible Treatment Options Include Conservative options – Many times the abnormal uterine bleeding can be treated without surgery.
A. Medical – These include:
- 1) Simple non-hormonal medication.
- 2) Hormone therapy with oral contraceptives, hormone replacement therapy or an IUD
- 3) Thyroid medication
- 4) Anti-inflammatory medication
B. Conservative surgery – without removing the uterus.
- 1) Hysteroscopy with D&C
- 2) Fibroid resection or polyp removal
- 3) Endometrial ablation
- 4) Uterine balloon therapy
C. Removing the uterus is done very rarely. Hysterectomy is done by Laparoscopy at our hospital in 90% of cases.
The doctors at Swapna Healthcare are well experienced and equipped to take care. We have state of the art endoscopy center fully equipped.