Adhesions are bands of scar tissue that form between organs. In the abdomen, they form after an abdominal surgery or after a bout of intra-abdominal
More than 90%(the vast majority) of patients who undergo abdominal surgery develop adhesions & they are almost inevitably part of body’s healing process. Most adhesions are asymptomatic, but some can cause chronic pain, infertility & bowel obstructions.
Laparotomy with open adhesiolysis(division/release of adhesions) has been the treatment of choice till laparoscopy came in. Now laparoscopic adhesiolysis is preferred as it has many advantages.
- 1. Less post-operative pain
- 2. Lesser chances of reformation of adhesions
- 3. Decreased incidence of a ventral hernia
- 4. Reduced recovery time & return of bowel function
- 5. Shorter Hospital stay.